POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : What is HDRI? : Re: What is HDRI? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is HDRI?
From: gonzo
Date: 14 Jan 2003 17:10:06
Message: <web.3e2489f955262746a0c272b50@news.povray.org>
Slashdolt wrote:

>I still don't feel I'm explaining this very well.  Maybe if I said something
>like, "To some extent, it's like radiosity coming from a photograph rather
>than from a light source bouncing off 3D objects in a completely rendered
>scene."
>
>Slash

Well, I haven't tried it yet, so I may be completely wrong, but if I
understand what I've seen here, both in comments and in images, the HRDI
image IS the light source.  That requires an image with higher values than
1.

Best example I can think of is in my frozen moment IRTC entry
(http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/2002-12-31/hang_rg.jpg) I use a
terragen image as a background. I also had to use a lightsource with a fade
power of about 10 to get the light on the foreground to look right, not to
mention the time I spent getting it positioned to look right.  If I had
used an HRDI image I wouldn't have had to add the light source, the HRDI
image would take care of that and it would be right where it belonged.

And that is pretty much what I understand its intended for. Unfortunately,
the patch came out about three days after I submitted it or I probably
would have tried it, since it looks like terragen supports this with a
plug-in... :)

RG