POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to read an image pixel by pixel, and a question : Re: How to read an image pixel by pixel, and a question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to read an image pixel by pixel, and a question
From: normdoering
Date: 16 Nov 2002 05:30:05
Message: <web.3dd61d69eff886827748f6790@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
>In article <web.3dd4d018eff8868284f6eaf50[at]news.povray.org>,
> "normdoering" <nor### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>
>> You might want to try it yourself before you guess. There's more getting
>> stored in memory than the picture. When I did my picture at full resolution
>> it took over an hour and there were things coming up like "vista buffer,"
>> "light buffer," etc. I don't quite know what those are.... but those are
>> spheres I'm using not pixels.
>
>It wasn't a guess, it was a calculation, finding the number of pixels
>and multiplying by the size used for each one. Using spheres will of
>course use more memory...I didn't go far enough up the thread to find
>out spheres were being used.
>But I have done similar things. One particular scene swapped out over
>200MB to disk on this system, with 384MB RAM. It can get impractically
>slow, but shouldn't crash.
>
>The vista and light buffers are to optimize camera and light rays, so
>they only test objects that might be hit. They do take a fairly large
>amount of memory, especially in this type of scene with lots of objects,
>but you can turn them off.
>
>Christopher James Huff <cja### [at] earthlinknet>
>http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
>POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
>http://tag.povray.org/

Thanks for the info, I didn't know you could turn them off till you and
Gilles Tran told me. What I did was get rid of the light and use "finish
{ambient 1}."

Tomorrow (well, later today, but after I get some sleep) I'll post more and
give you guys a better clue to what this is all about.

--normdoering