POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to read an image pixel by pixel, and a question : Re: How to read an image pixel by pixel, and a question Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:14:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to read an image pixel by pixel, and a question
From: normdoering
Date: 13 Nov 2002 22:45:04
Message: <web.3dd31b13eff88682d5c1896a0@news.povray.org>
Dennis Miller wrote:
>I'd like to try this out a bit. I loaded a file that was 720 x 480 and set
>the xPixels and yPixels to 720 x 480 but the image only appeared in the
>upper right quadrant. Now I see the Resx and Resy  factors. Should I set
>xPixels and yPixels to the exact size of the input file and leave Resx as =
>xPixels and the same for Resy to get the image to fill the screen?
>thanks much
>D.

Be careful, a 720 x 480 picture might crash a small memory system at full
resolution.

But, yes, to read every pixel you do not divide xPixels and/or yPixels to
get Resx and Resy. Those variables were added to make things go faster but
at the price of not doing exactly what I said, reading every pixel. Reading
every pixel is for later when I'm ready to make a highly detailed mesh. I
don't need it yet. I just need to know how ... which I do now.

If you want to read every pixel, you might consider a different image,
smaller.
Also, you might want to use ambient finish and turn off all the lights --
POV makes these light buffers that took a long time to do when I tried it.

In a couple days I'll be posting some code that will make the mesh and cut
holes in the picture.

Thanks for your interest. Maybe you can help me understand how to do what
I'm trying to do by keeping the questions coming.