POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Cylindrical radius-light : Re: Cylindrical radius-light, 1 way 2 do it Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cylindrical radius-light, 1 way 2 do it
From: Gregor
Date: 30 Sep 2002 12:50:10
Message: <web.3d987e86e93356d26bd4eb880@news.povray.org>
hughes, b. wrote:
>// bob's little test scene

Thanks, H.B., I've tried it. Nice trick, but... two comments:

A) There are TWO light sources for each stripe, and this slows down
raytracing much more than my 'light-n-disks-o-matic'.
B) There are funny looking effects of light/shade around ANY object placed
in the light cones. Strongly unacceptable.

So I've returned to my light-between-two-disks idea. Needs some
experimenting, but effect is good unless I try to aggregate those
flat-lights into cylinder. Even a hundred of them slows down everything to
infinity. And I need at least 1500-2000 parallel disks in my scene! And what
with media/photons/interior effects? Hell and devils!
Well, allrighty then. There'll be invented new
supercomputer of peanut size until mine POVray ends radiosity calcs!

Maybe much sparse (and fatter) disks'o'light with some kind of image_mapping
over the light_source? Is this possible in POVray? I know this method from
3DStudio.
And maybe some tricky use of parallel lightning in light groups?
I dunno.

If somebody'll find any simple solution to my problem - DO NOT hesitate to
post it!

Thanx
  Gregor

PS. I've got no enough experience to try user-defined vectoring so far, but
thanks for replies anyway - maybe later I'll try to use this clue.
 Gregor