POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Cylindrical radius-light : Cylindrical radius-light Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:13:47 EDT (-0400)
  Cylindrical radius-light
From: Gregor
Date: 26 Sep 2002 10:55:03
Message: <web.3d931f0cf4969a7b6bd4eb880@news.povray.org>
Hi!

Simple (or not) question:

How to make (or simulate effect of) sth I call 'cylindrical radius light'
(probably wrong :)?

Imagine... standard light source placed in <0,0,0> between two infinite XY
planes, and distance between these planes is infinitely small. All rays of
light come radially from the point and are placed on XY plane.
Now add many of this light sources along Z axis, let's say: from z*-1 to
z*1.
Finally we've got 2 units long line of flat lights, placed in Z.

Object enlightened with this source will be in dark for Z over 1 or below
-1.
Shadow cast by this object will make on the {XZ translate -y*delta} plane
sth like cylindrical projection map used in carthography.

OK. It's simple: take two invisible planes (or two discs which is better),
place standard light source between them, scale/squish it, then make 10^n
copies of it along the line. Voila!

But performance will drop down dramatically, and I have no millenium to wait
for the effects.

Is there more simple way?

Regards
 Gregor