POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Varible IOR? : Re: Varible IOR? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:25:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Varible IOR?
From: MikeTheGuru
Date: 5 Sep 2002 12:30:16
Message: <web.3d778571bc15a3b5c80208b00@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
>In article <3d3b2dc3[at]news.povray.org>, "RAY" <RAY### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>
>> Could this be implemented in a version (official/unofficial) based on 3.5?
>> http://www.noisemachine.com/talk1/11.html
>
>Variable ior requires very large amounts of processing power, and is
>rarely of any use.

Your are right, of course, when you concentrate on 'really' realistic scenes
and renderings.
But the old usage of variable ior could make some very nice scenes. Why
don't (re-)implement [I'm sure the old code isn't completely erased out of
the world ;-)] the old version of ior and naming it e.g.
'irreal-ior'? So you would have all we want:
1) a real ior (which of course belongs to interior becaus it's a matter of
the stuff and not the surface)
2) a nice feature for making some artistic scenes look better (even you
never can build such a scene with realist material - but why not making
irreal pictures?)