POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to make a decent carpet texture? : Re: How to make a decent carpet texture? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:15:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to make a decent carpet texture?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 19 Jun 2000 16:57:20
Message: <urpsks8c2gcnv0p3smd0abe9277n9e7gov@4ax.com>
On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 18:54:12 +0100, "Scott Hill"
<sco### [at] innocentcom> wrote:

>> I've been having trouble making something carpet-y.  I want one that's
>> good enough to withstand having a camera a foot or two away.  I don't
>> want to do one with crand or bumps because it just doesn't look right.
>> Any idea?

>    Have you tried a height-field (could be tiled to cover large areas), or
>an ISO-surface (available in the MegaPOV patch) ?

Scott is right, probably the best way to do it would be with the
built-in 'mesh' isosurface function in MegaPOV. A compex normal
statement based on scallop-wave gradients could also work but it would
be somewhat harder to get to look right.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet