POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How to use a bezier-curve (2D) for a function to use in a texture? : Re: How to use a bezier-curve (2D) for a function to use in a texture? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:19:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to use a bezier-curve (2D) for a function to use in a texture?
From: ABX
Date: 14 Sep 2004 03:01:53
Message: <tg5dk050kgd273j9gegcpdbivnp5g87gf8@4ax.com>
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:56:15 -0400, "David Wallace" <dar### [at] earthlinknet>
wrote:
> I want that function, too, but for a different purpose.  If I could
> calculate the distance from a 2D-point in space to the nearest point on a
> bezier spline,  I would be drawing rivers and streams in landscapes.  I
> suspect the math would be rather egregious, though.

Having lathe-bezier within spline{} does not automatically makes you able to
calculate distance between point and spline thought knowing spline equation
you can indeed calculate distance. Note that MegaPOV contains polynomial
solver (the same as used for lathe internally) which can be used for such
calculations.

ABX