POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Render Speed : Re: Render Speed Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:30:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render Speed
From: Alan Kong
Date: 29 Dec 1999 21:41:15
Message: <tfhl6so3ahvcs0q55j05p01hga07vmsj12@4ax.com>
On Sun, 26 Dec 1999 01:12:07 -0800, "David Vincent-Jones"
<geo### [at] galaxynetcom> wrote:

>It almost feels as if the video is getting overloaded or not getting
>sufficiently 'flushed' between frames.
>
>Do you know of any tests that will really quantify the video performance for
>PV usage.

  Video performance, as it relates to pixel width to height to number of
displayed colors, is of no importance to POV-Ray. Resolution only makes
a difference in what you see on your monitor, not what POV-Ray renders.
The output image remains the same.

>This is my code:
>#declare Sea =  plane { y, (0)
> texture { pigment {color rgbf <0.85,0.95,1.0,0.75>}
> finish  { ambient 0.1 reflection 0.05 brilliance 1.0}}}
>
> [snip]
>
>When I commented out the above most of the frames ran fine with a time per
>frame of around 8.5 minutes.

  Just for argument's sake, try using a box scaled large enough for your
scene instead of the infinite plane. It may not make any difference but
I try to avoid using planes unless I can't make do with scaled primitive
shapes like boxes.

  Let's see what Ken advises to do next. We may have to examine your
complete scene code.

(p.s. - your system date is off by a few days and is messing up the
threading in my newsreader)