POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : On Bezier splines : Re: On Bezier splines Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: On Bezier splines
From: Peter Popov
Date: 9 May 2000 16:28:37
Message: <soqghsssd88tap7n124e7r2askalqh5c35@4ax.com>
On Tue, 09 May 2000 13:58:53 +0200, Tor Olav Kristensen
<tto### [at] onlineno> wrote:

>I have done some coding trying to find a way to estimate the centre
>of a circle for several points.

>What I have come up with so far is just a "dirty" way to find it.
>It's quite time consuming to parse, so later today I will implement
>some macros that does a numerical search for "good" centre points.

Parse time won't be a problem since I'll write the program in C.

>I have posted another  image to p.b.i that shows a "height field"
>above a plane with 6 points. This the lowest point in this height
>field shows where the "best" centre point is for a circle that comes
>close to the given points.

Very illustrative, thanks!

>The "height field" can be considered as an "error field".
>The height above "ground" gives the least "error" generated if
>placing the circle below.

So basically you find the standard error of the distances between the
points and the circle? Nifty :)

>The code generating this image also estimates which radius to use
>for the circle. And the code can also be used with more or less
>points.

Interesting, how do you do that, by sampling?

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usanet