POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : milky glass problem : Re: milky glass problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: milky glass problem
From: Ron Parker
Date: 25 Feb 2002 13:40:52
Message: <slrna7l19n.84j.ron.parker@fwi.com>

> .) Interior on triangles only works on single triangles and not on mesh
> members. This was the reason why I couldn't work with it previously since I
> always built meshes rather than with unions of triangles.

It will, however, work on the mesh as a whole, won't it?

> -Additionally POV reports degenerate triangles when using an union although
> they are definitvely NOT degenerate as debug output shows clearly. When
> using a meshe there is no message although the triangles are identical.

Meshes silently drop degenerate triangles.  Keep in mind that there's more
ways for a triangle - especially a smooth triangle - to be degenerate than
just the obvious "collinear vertices" one.

> .) The first tests using scattering media seemed to work fine even for
> back-light, until I moved the camera. Scattering media isn't really a
> scattering media, it is still some kind of filter. If you look through the
> media you only see the effect if there is something behind it, but not if
> there is black background. Scattering media would be visible whenever it is
> lit by some light-source regardless of the objects behind it. So this is
> unforunately useless since I can do filtering already on the texture and
> don't need slow media for this.

I seem to recall having mentioned this in one of my posts on the subject.
If you enclose your entire scene in a big black sphere, it will work as you
might expect.  However, it still won't be "right" because the mesh has an
infinite interior.  The right way to do this, like it or not, is to make
your object actually look like something you could make in real life.

--
#macro R(L P)sphere{L F}cylinder{L P F}#end#macro P(V)merge{R(z+a z)R(-z a-z)R(a
-z-z-z a+z)torus{1F clipped_by{plane{a 0}}}translate V}#end#macro Z(a F T)merge{