POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Array irritation. : Re: Array irritation. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Array irritation.
From: Ron Parker
Date: 19 Oct 2000 09:57:32
Message: <slrn8utvee.2rv.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On 19 Oct 2000 09:22:29 -0400, Warp wrote:
>Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
>: It might pipeline better.
>
>  AFAIK instructions that handle the same register can't be executed in
>different pipelines at the same time (at least this in a Pentium).

That's probably true, but a load-modify-store sequence might be more easily
run in parallel with another such sequence.  Of course, if that's the case,
they would have microcoded inc as such a sequence.  I suspect the real
reason your compiler built it that way is the second reason I gave.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.