POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : What do vista and light buffers do? : Re: What do vista and light buffers do? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:26:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do vista and light buffers do?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 30 Aug 2000 10:56:15
Message: <slrn8qq8th.1rd.ron.parker@fwi.com>
On 30 Aug 2000 10:30:51 -0400, Warp wrote:
>  I asked this in p.general in a thread, but no-one has answered, so I'll ask
>it here in its own thread:
>
>  What do vista and light buffers do and how they work? A precise answer from
>someone who knows well the algorithm, please.
>  I'm very interested in knowing this.

Not a precise answer, but...

The vista buffer is a 2-d representation of the locations of the objects in
the scene, as seen from the camera.  When tracing camera rays, you need only
check the objects at that location in the vista buffer.

The light buffers are similar, one per light, and are used for tracing
shadow rays.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.