POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : WARNING: #exec and safety : Re: WARNING: #exec and safety Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:17:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WARNING: #exec and safety
From: Ron Parker
Date: 26 Oct 1999 10:28:14
Message: <slrn81bekd.v8.ron.parker@ron.gwmicro.com>
On 26 Oct 1999 10:06:09 -0400, Nieminen Juha wrote:
>Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
>: Another way of looking at it is to not allow directory path separators
>: in filenames.
>
>  This would assume that directory separator is either "\" or "/".

Not necessarily.  It would have to be done on an OS-by-OS basis.
For example, VMS uses square brackets around directory names,
and I think the Mac uses colons.  Fortunately, config.h already
defines what a filename separator is for the OS in question.

>  It might search for "povray.ini" in the currect directory and add some
>nasty stuff there...

True.  Or some other ini file it can be sure is there - its own,
for example, in an attempt to bypass whatever visual auditing
someone might have done looking for shellouts.  In that case, the
fix is to set an output directory that isn't in your INI path (but
is in your include path, because otherwise a lot of neat effects
wouldn't be possible.)