POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : quantum physics : Re: quantum physics Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:15:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: quantum physics
From: Mike Williams
Date: 12 Dec 2001 22:17:05
Message: <rQKdrDA3X7F8Ew01@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Paul Jones who wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Does anybody know how to create an isosurface for the atomic orbitals?
>Specifically the s, p and d (I can't find the equations for the f
>orbitals....). I have forgotten most of my quatum physics and even more math
>(calc and diffeq).
>
>Any guidance or scene files would be much appreciated  :-)

s orbitals are easy, they're just spheres.

One of the d orbitals is available as the f_quantum(x,y,z,0) function.

#include "functions.inc"
isosurface {
  function {f_quantum(x,y,z,0)}
        max_gradient 2
        contained_by {sphere {0,8}}
        pigment {rgb 1}
}

In the old MegaPOV syntax it's {"func_11" <0>} .

I don't know about the rest.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure