POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fast media sampling : Re: Fast media sampling Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fast media sampling
From: Peter Popov
Date: 13 Jul 2002 02:03:34
Message: <r2gviuorinpbdkmm2vr4v5r6r8vfsd67a0@4ax.com>
On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 14:20:58 -0400, "Slime" <slm### [at] slimelandcom> wrote:

>Now, I'm aware that other programs like lightwave are able to create this
>effect much faster than POV-Ray does. But how do they do it?

It's simple - they construct a separate shadow map for media for every
scanline by projecting the meshes onto the plane defined by the
scanline and the camera origin using the light source as a projection
origin (multiple overlayed shadow maps merged into one in the case of
multiple light sources).

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg