POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Looking for ideas : Re: Looking for ideas Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:28:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Looking for ideas
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 1 Sep 2000 09:16:28
Message: <qqmzolsgslv.fsf@schlatt.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
Geoff Wedig <wed### [at] darwinepbicwruedu> writes:
> The first thing is, How do you do substances that reflect light based on
> thickness, like milk or ice?  When thin, these substances are
> semitransparent, but as they get thicker, they turn some color.  Absorbing
> media only goes to black, so that's no good.  Can Scattering media do this?

According to my physics book, thin milk can be modelled with Mie scattering.
That's why I think that it might be worth trying media type 2 or 3.
I haven't tried this, but you wrote that you were looking for ideas...

> I hate to think of the render times, which is why I haven't worked with
> scattering previously.  Is there some other way?

You might try the sampling method 2 of the MegaPatch. Since milk is
homogeneous, it shouldn't hurt.

Thomas

--
http://www.thomas.willhalm.de/ (includes pgp key)