POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POVRAY - SMoke needed : Re: POVRAY - SMoke needed Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRAY - SMoke needed
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 29 Feb 2000 10:59:07
Message: <qqmu2is9f04.fsf@schlatt.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
"Mark Wagner" <mar### [at] gtenet> writes:

> Thomas Willhalm wrote in message ...
> >"CoolColJ" <ccj### [at] idxcomau> writes:
> >>
> >> I need a 12 frame Povray Smoke Animation, that loops fairly smoothly
> given
> >> the 12 frame animation limit. Its for a mod I'm doing for a game called
> >> Combat Mission, for the burning tanks.
> >>
> >> The animation needs to be a side profile and vertical rising, and look
> black
> >> and oliy like that Pearl Harbour shot on the Povray main page.
> >
> >Why not try to animate the smoke of this image? The source code is
> >available at http://www.irtc.org/stills/1998-12-31.html
>

> This might be practical if he has access to a high-end Cray.  That smoke
> takes about 12 hours to render on a 400Mhz AMD K6-2.

12 hours times 12 frames makes 144 hours or 6 days. I consider this as
an acceptable time for a final rendition. If you have several computers
available, you can distribute the calculations. I'm a bit amazed about
your comment, since you know this, too.

Designing a scene with such a long render time is a pain. I know this,
because I did it myself by modifying this smoke for a scene (see
http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/algo/amore/) and I didn't have a Cray
handy. Render time has been around 10 hours.

Thomas

--
http://thomas.willhalm.de/ (includes pgp key)