POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : POVRay - Beyond the Basics : Re: POVRay - Beyond the Basics Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:27:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay - Beyond the Basics
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 5 Nov 1999 04:38:02
Message: <qqmln8d2s91.fsf@goldach.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
"Peter Ketting" <pjotr_@w-link.net> writes:

> I'd like to know if there's any interest for a POVRay website that covers
> more advanced
> techniques, as oppose to basic tutorials that seem to swamp almost every
> unofficial POV Site.

Of course, there is.

> My idea was to set up a page and with the help of skilled POVRay artists,
> post some tutorials
> about advanced object modeling, advanced lightning, advanced texture
> techniques, etc.
> I was thinking about collecting articles from people who'd like to
> contribute to this page and
> have it updated every 2 months or so...
>
> Let me know what you all think about it.

In my humble opinion, I suspect this not to work. Probably, there will
be a lot of people saying "That's a great idea!" or perhaps even
"I could write something about *". Some months later, almost nothing
will have happened and interest will have decreased to zero.

I have several reasons to believe this:
- Most ambitious projects I know have gone this way.
- When someone is able and wants to write an advanced tutorial, (s)he
  would probably have done it.
- Why should someone write a tutorial, simply because there is now a
  central place? The major strength of the web is the fact, that it
  isn't centralized. A good tutorial will became famous anyway (and will
  certainly be referenced by Ken's link page).
- A site that suggest itself to provide the central page is www.povray.org.

Instead of putting much effort in creating a nice web page that contains
nothing later, I suggest that you start yourself to write a tutorial.
When others do it the same way, the different sites can still be linked
together afterwards. I imaging that the POV-Ray documentation could also be
a possible place for the tutorials.

Please don't get me wrong. I do not want to stop your efforts to help
POV-Ray users. But I want you to investigate your time, where it's
appropriate. And as I said in the beginning: It's only my personal opinion.

Happy tracing

Thomas

--
http://thomas.willhalm.de/