POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : will povray work on linux? : Re: will povray work on linux? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:12:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: will povray work on linux?
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 27 Sep 1999 12:30:42
Message: <qqmk8pc48r1.fsf@goldach.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
"TonyB" <ben### [at] panamaphoenixnet> writes:

> >  Piracy is stealing, plain and simple. If someone we know gives us a copy
> >of software that is for another end-user then we both become thieves.
>
> I consider it testing non-demo software or trying out the full potential of
> crippled trialware. I also consider it borrowing. For example, I have a
> friend that bought MS Office 97. When I needed to do some spreadsheeting, I
> would go over to his house. This became repetetive. What difference does it
> make to use the program here at home, when I can go over and use it at his
> house?

You can run two instances of the software at the same time. Don't hit
on me, but this is the criterion that is common in the software community.
Other methods of prizing are possible, like measuring the usage or
paying each manual. However, M$ currently want to be paid for each
installed (or running?) version.

> I don't like to pirate. I feel the guilt of stealing. I plan to purchase
> certain softwares but can't afford them right now. I certainly can't afford
> to upgrade every year (at least with Microsoft prices). Oh, yeah, another
> factor is that my father refuses to buy what I can get free off the 'Net or
> from friends. He prefers buying hardware.

To become on topic again: Use "free" software like Linux, StarOffice, KDE,
Emacs, gcc, and POV-Ray. This is what I do and I'm quite happy with it.

And yes: povray will work on linux.

Thomas

--
http://www.fmi.uni-konstanz.de/~willhalm