POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : feature request: disable file overwrite Server Time
19 Apr 2024 03:15:09 EDT (-0400)
  feature request: disable file overwrite (Message 5 to 14 of 14)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: feature request: disable file overwrite
Date: 25 Jan 2017 05:25:27
Message: <58887d17$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.01.2017 um 06:45 schrieb omniverse:
>> clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>>
>>> As so often, the devil is in the details though: For instance, how would
>>> you expect POV-Ray to react when rendering an animation, and /some/
>>> frames already exist while others do not?
>> I just thought it would be a nice safeguard against accidentally overwriting
>> images that took a long time to render, or accidentally clicking "RUN" (admit it
>> - we've all done it" when you hadn't manually renamed the last test render prior
>> to rendering the new iteration) when you've been working on something for a long
>> time, it's late, you're tired and distracted....
>
> You did say command-line, and first thing I think of to do what you ask in a
> roundabout way would be to add to the command-line:
>
> -orender2
>
> and next 3, 4, 5, etc. before every scene run.
>
> Sorry to be glib about it. ;)
> You're idea makes sense to me. Render overwrites can be a bad thing, like you
> say.
>
> Couldn't this be done by using file write capability from within SDL? Change the
> povray.ini to count file output incrementally on each render like the output
> option I said above?
> Of course that means putting that into every scene so it runs.

Hm... this has me thinking: Maybe a smarter way would be to allow
certain placeholders in the file name, which would be replaced by the
current date and/or time when the render was started (first frame in
case of an animation sequence).

This would entirely avoid the hassle of checking whether a file of the
same name already exists, and yet provide a convenient way to prevent
accidental overwriting of existing output files.

Post a reply to this message

> Hm... this has me thinking: Maybe a smarter way would be to allow
> certain placeholders in the file name, which would be replaced by the
> current date and/or time when the render was started (first frame in
> case of an animation sequence).
>
> This would entirely avoid the hassle of checking whether a file of the
> same name already exists, and yet provide a convenient way to prevent
> accidental overwriting of existing output files.

Would that work when using subsets of frames?

And thinking out loud:
What is the first frame?
Is it Frame_0, Frame_1 or the first frame actually rendered in the
directory with the same base name?

Would you have a flag to switch it on and off for when we wanted to
overwrite files?

Sorry for sounding negative but I don't think this is trivial.
On the positive side. You could pop up a warning asking if the user
wanted to overwrite with an option to pick Yes/No/All (for animations)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> Hm... this has me thinking: Maybe a smarter way would be to allow
>> certain placeholders in the file name, which would be replaced by the
>> current date and/or time when the render was started (first frame in
>> case of an animation sequence).
>>
>> This would entirely avoid the hassle of checking whether a file of the
>> same name already exists, and yet provide a convenient way to prevent
>> accidental overwriting of existing output files.
>
> Would that work when using subsets of frames?
>
> And thinking out loud:
> What is the first frame?
> Is it Frame_0, Frame_1 or the first frame actually rendered in the
> directory with the same base name?

"first frame" would typically be the one specified via
`Subset_Start_Frame`/`+SFn` if present, or `Initial_Frame`/`+KFIn`
otherwise. ("Typically" because POV-Ray does not always honor these
settings as specified; "first frame" would be the first frame actually
rendered in any animation sequence.)

> Would you have a flag to switch it on and off for when we wanted to
> overwrite files?

Kind of. You'd have to activate this feature by inserting special
strings in the output file name; e.g.
`Output_File_Name=Foo{YYYY}{MM}{DD}.png`

> Sorry for sounding negative but I don't think this is trivial.

Hey, that's _my_ line ;)

Post a reply to this message

>>> accidental overwriting of existing output files.
>>
>> Would that work when using subsets of frames?
>>
>> And thinking out loud:
>> What is the first frame?
>> Is it Frame_0, Frame_1 or the first frame actually rendered in the
>> directory with the same base name?
>
> "first frame" would typically be the one specified via
> `Subset_Start_Frame`/`+SFn` if present, or `Initial_Frame`/`+KFIn`
> otherwise. ("Typically" because POV-Ray does not always honor these
> settings as specified; "first frame" would be the first frame actually
> rendered in any animation sequence.)
>
>> Would you have a flag to switch it on and off for when we wanted to
>> overwrite files?
>
> Kind of. You'd have to activate this feature by inserting special
> strings in the output file name; e.g.
> `Output_File_Name=Foo{YYYY}{MM}{DD}.png`

I have more questions but I will wait until it is implemented if it is.

>> Sorry for sounding negative but I don't think this is trivial.
>
> Hey, that's _my_ line ;)

How much are the royalties?

And hay is for horses. ;)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>>> Would that work when using subsets of frames?
>>>
>>> And thinking out loud:
>>> What is the first frame?
>>> Is it Frame_0, Frame_1 or the first frame actually rendered in the
>>> directory with the same base name?
>>
>> "first frame" would typically be the one specified via
>> `Subset_Start_Frame`/`+SFn` if present, or `Initial_Frame`/`+KFIn`
>> otherwise. ("Typically" because POV-Ray does not always honor these
>> settings as specified; "first frame" would be the first frame actually
>> rendered in any animation sequence.)
>>
>>> Would you have a flag to switch it on and off for when we wanted to
>>> overwrite files?
>>
>> Kind of. You'd have to activate this feature by inserting special
>> strings in the output file name; e.g.
>> `Output_File_Name=Foo{YYYY}{MM}{DD}.png`
>>

> I have more questions but I will wait until it is implemented if it is.

I suggest you better not hold your breath.

Post a reply to this message

>>> `Output_File_Name=Foo{YYYY}{MM}{DD}.png`
>>>

>> I have more questions but I will wait until it is implemented if it is.
>
> I suggest you better not hold your breath.

That is why I am not asking them now. No point in wasting brain cells. :)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message