POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : feature request: disable file overwrite : Re: feature request: disable file overwrite Server Time
23 Apr 2024 11:46:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: feature request: disable file overwrite
From: clipka
Date: 25 Jan 2017 05:25:27
Message: <58887d17$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.01.2017 um 06:45 schrieb omniverse:
>> clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>>
>>> As so often, the devil is in the details though: For instance, how would
>>> you expect POV-Ray to react when rendering an animation, and /some/
>>> frames already exist while others do not?
>> I just thought it would be a nice safeguard against accidentally overwriting
>> images that took a long time to render, or accidentally clicking "RUN" (admit it
>> - we've all done it" when you hadn't manually renamed the last test render prior
>> to rendering the new iteration) when you've been working on something for a long
>> time, it's late, you're tired and distracted....
>
> You did say command-line, and first thing I think of to do what you ask in a
> roundabout way would be to add to the command-line:
>
> -orender2
>
> and next 3, 4, 5, etc. before every scene run.
>
> Sorry to be glib about it. ;)
> You're idea makes sense to me. Render overwrites can be a bad thing, like you
> say.
>
> Couldn't this be done by using file write capability from within SDL? Change the
> povray.ini to count file output incrementally on each render like the output
> option I said above?
> Of course that means putting that into every scene so it runs.

Hm... this has me thinking: Maybe a smarter way would be to allow
certain placeholders in the file name, which would be replaced by the
current date and/or time when the render was started (first frame in
case of an animation sequence).

This would entirely avoid the hassle of checking whether a file of the
same name already exists, and yet provide a convenient way to prevent
accidental overwriting of existing output files.