POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : feature request: disable file overwrite : Re: feature request: disable file overwrite Server Time
26 Apr 2024 21:08:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: feature request: disable file overwrite
From: clipka
Date: 25 Jan 2017 09:12:57
Message: <5888b269$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.01.2017 um 12:38 schrieb Stephen:
> On 1/25/2017 10:25 AM, clipka wrote:
>> Hm... this has me thinking: Maybe a smarter way would be to allow
>> certain placeholders in the file name, which would be replaced by the
>> current date and/or time when the render was started (first frame in
>> case of an animation sequence).
>>
>> This would entirely avoid the hassle of checking whether a file of the
>> same name already exists, and yet provide a convenient way to prevent
>> accidental overwriting of existing output files.
>
> Would that work when using subsets of frames?
>
> And thinking out loud:
> What is the first frame?
> Is it Frame_0, Frame_1 or the first frame actually rendered in the
> directory with the same base name?

"first frame" would typically be the one specified via
`Subset_Start_Frame`/`+SFn` if present, or `Initial_Frame`/`+KFIn`
otherwise. ("Typically" because POV-Ray does not always honor these
settings as specified; "first frame" would be the first frame actually
rendered in any animation sequence.)

> Would you have a flag to switch it on and off for when we wanted to
> overwrite files?

Kind of. You'd have to activate this feature by inserting special
strings in the output file name; e.g.
`Output_File_Name=Foo{YYYY}{MM}{DD}.png`

> Sorry for sounding negative but I don't think this is trivial.

Hey, that's _my_ line ;)