POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Install for multiple windows 7 users Server Time
28 Mar 2024 06:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  Install for multiple windows 7 users (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Nick
Subject: Install for multiple windows 7 users
Date: 19 Aug 2014 07:35:01
Message: <web.53f335ddfe60634859099baa0@news.povray.org>
Hello

I asked this question about for years ago but gave up as things were clearly
designed not to work the way I'd expect.  I've come back now for another go and
I nothing seems to have improved.

I've downloaded  povwin-3.7-agpl3-setup.exe and looked as directed at
'non-standard installations'   It says I can use /INSTALL or /QINSTALL.  These
make not a blind bit of difference you still get led through the prompts for
directories. and so on as if the didn't exists.  /S though undocumented will get
you a silent install.

However I've tried to install it I get the same old, same old, dialogues as ever
when I log in as another user - POVRAY did not find the expected registry
entries....and a telling off for allegedly not using /INSTALL when I did, then
'cannot find colours.inc'

Oh and not that I'm the slightest bit surprised, no shortcuts in the all users
start menu.

After four years I'd really expected someone to have made a competent job of
this. A proper installer should default to installing for all users without any
further action, a miracle thousands of software vendors perform on a daily
basis.  I fail to understand why POVRAY can't achieve this.

 We will continue to have to explain to our students that these errors are not
of our making and are a poor advertisment for your product.

Post a reply to this message

> 'non-standard installations'   It says I can use /INSTALL or /QINSTALL.  These
> make not a blind bit of difference you still get led through the prompts for
> directories. and so on as if the didn't exists.  /S though undocumented will get
> you a silent install.
>
> However I've tried to install it I get the same old, same old, dialogues as ever
> when I log in as another user - POVRAY did not find the expected registry
> entries....and a telling off for allegedly not using /INSTALL when I did, then
> 'cannot find colours.inc'
>
> Oh and not that I'm the slightest bit surprised, no shortcuts in the all users
> start menu.
>
> After four years I'd really expected someone to have made a competent job of
> this. A proper installer should default to installing for all users without any
> further action, a miracle thousands of software vendors perform on a daily
> basis.  I fail to understand why POVRAY can't achieve this.
>

>  We will continue to have to explain to our students that these errors are not
> of our making and are a poor advertisment for your product.

Hi,

Perhaps you could volunteer to spend the time to correct the issue to
your liking and contribute the changes for the benefit of others. But
I guess that's too much work for you.

Given you are in an academic environment, it may be useful for you to
follow the suggestions documented in
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Windows_Section_3#Non-Standard_Installations
such as publishing the required registry entries via group policy, or
alternately you may wish to automate the installation via some other
method. Either way, the required registry entries are clearly documented.

Finally if none of that suffices and you don't like the way the
installer works you are free to return the software for a full refund.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> I asked this question about for years ago but gave up as things were clearly
> designed not to work the way I'd expect.  I've come back now for another go and
> I nothing seems to have improved.
>
> I've downloaded  povwin-3.7-agpl3-setup.exe and looked as directed at
> 'non-standard installations'   It says I can use /INSTALL or /QINSTALL.  These
> make not a blind bit of difference you still get led through the prompts for
> directories. and so on as if the didn't exists.  /S though undocumented will get
> you a silent install.
>
> However I've tried to install it I get the same old, same old, dialogues as ever
> when I log in as another user - POVRAY did not find the expected registry
> entries....and a telling off for allegedly not using /INSTALL when I did, then
> 'cannot find colours.inc'
>
> Oh and not that I'm the slightest bit surprised, no shortcuts in the all users
> start menu.
>
> After four years I'd really expected someone to have made a competent job of
> this. A proper installer should default to installing for all users without any
> further action, a miracle thousands of software vendors perform on a daily
> basis.  I fail to understand why POVRAY can't achieve this.
>

>   We will continue to have to explain to our students that these errors are not
> of our making and are a poor advertisment for your product.

Did you ever try to install from an administrative account? It's the
ONLY way to install ANYTHING for all users. The "thousands of software
vendors" that you mention can not preform that "miracle" if the install
is not done with administrator credentials.

For the file colours.inc, it's a particular case. You need to make sure
that all users have a pov-ray folder in their profiles that have an
includes folder that will contain that file.
Also, have a scenes folder in each profiles. This is to ensure that one
user won't accidently modify the scenes from someone else.

Normaly, POV-Ray should build the needed registry entries from it's
current folder and the profile in use if those don't already exist.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

> Did you ever try to install from an administrative account? It's the
> ONLY way to install ANYTHING for all users. The "thousands of software
> vendors" that you mention can not preform that "miracle" if the install
> is not done with administrator credentials.
>
> For the file colours.inc, it's a particular case. You need to make sure
> that all users have a pov-ray folder in their profiles that have an
> includes folder that will contain that file.
> Also, have a scenes folder in each profiles. This is to ensure that one
> user won't accidently modify the scenes from someone else.
>
> Normaly, POV-Ray should build the needed registry entries from it's
> current folder and the profile in use if those don't already exist.

This is a good summary. The main issue is that for a pre-install to
work we need to advertise a 'deferred install', which requires MSI
support. A deferred install will automatically install the
user-specific files in the users account the first time they run POVWIN.

Since we can't do that, in a lab environment it's up to the
administrator to ensure that when the student wants to run the app,
the appropriate support files get installed. This is why we clearly
document the required settings.

Generally speaking letting them all share a single set of files isn't
suitable, as then they can all edit them. A proper setup requires that
each student has their own set of editable files in their own account.
The binaries/help file etc can be shared.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

>> Did you ever try to install from an administrative account? It's the
>> ONLY way to install ANYTHING for all users. The "thousands of software
>> vendors" that you mention can not preform that "miracle" if the install
>> is not done with administrator credentials.
>>
>> For the file colours.inc, it's a particular case. You need to make sure
>> that all users have a pov-ray folder in their profiles that have an
>> includes folder that will contain that file.
>> Also, have a scenes folder in each profiles. This is to ensure that one
>> user won't accidently modify the scenes from someone else.
>>
>> Normaly, POV-Ray should build the needed registry entries from it's
>> current folder and the profile in use if those don't already exist.
>
> This is a good summary. The main issue is that for a pre-install to
> work we need to advertise a 'deferred install', which requires MSI
> support. A deferred install will automatically install the
> user-specific files in the users account the first time they run POVWIN.
>
> Since we can't do that, in a lab environment it's up to the
> administrator to ensure that when the student wants to run the app,
> the appropriate support files get installed. This is why we clearly
> document the required settings.
>
> Generally speaking letting them all share a single set of files isn't
> suitable, as then they can all edit them. A proper setup requires that
> each student has their own set of editable files in their own account.
> The binaries/help file etc can be shared.
>
> -- Chris

The default include files can reside in a single include folder where
everyone have read access, but only the administrator have write access.
The same can be done for the sample scene files.

Post a reply to this message