POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Install for multiple windows 7 users : Re: Install for multiple windows 7 users Server Time
18 Apr 2024 21:11:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Install for multiple windows 7 users
From: Chris Cason
Date: 19 Aug 2014 17:03:26
Message: <53f3bb9e$1@news.povray.org>
On 19/08/2014 21:32, Nick wrote:
> 'non-standard installations'   It says I can use /INSTALL or /QINSTALL.  These
> make not a blind bit of difference you still get led through the prompts for
> directories. and so on as if the didn't exists.  /S though undocumented will get
> you a silent install.
>
> However I've tried to install it I get the same old, same old, dialogues as ever
> when I log in as another user - POVRAY did not find the expected registry
> entries....and a telling off for allegedly not using /INSTALL when I did, then
> 'cannot find colours.inc'
>
> Oh and not that I'm the slightest bit surprised, no shortcuts in the all users
> start menu.
>
> After four years I'd really expected someone to have made a competent job of
> this. A proper installer should default to installing for all users without any
> further action, a miracle thousands of software vendors perform on a daily
> basis.  I fail to understand why POVRAY can't achieve this.
>

>  We will continue to have to explain to our students that these errors are not
> of our making and are a poor advertisment for your product.

Hi,

Perhaps you could volunteer to spend the time to correct the issue to
your liking and contribute the changes for the benefit of others. But
I guess that's too much work for you.

Given you are in an academic environment, it may be useful for you to
follow the suggestions documented in
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Windows_Section_3#Non-Standard_Installations
such as publishing the required registry entries via group policy, or
alternately you may wish to automate the installation via some other
method. Either way, the required registry entries are clearly documented.

Finally if none of that suffices and you don't like the way the
installer works you are free to return the software for a full refund.

-- Chris