POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Install for multiple windows 7 users : Re: Install for multiple windows 7 users Server Time
23 Apr 2024 14:13:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Install for multiple windows 7 users
From: clipka
Date: 21 Aug 2014 07:18:37
Message: <53f5d58d@news.povray.org>
Am 21.08.2014 04:32, schrieb Chris Cason:
> On 20/08/2014 20:25, clipka wrote:
>> (2) On first time startup for a particular user, copy both registry keys
>> and user files from the default user's account (modifying the DocPath
>> registry entry of course).
>>
>> Or am I missing something fundamental there?
>
> Nope, that's one approach I considered. I decided not to because then
> I need to add UI support for failure, retry, and whatever, and that's
> something best done by the OS (which has code for handling exactly
> this) rather than merging it into the base POV-Ray code (or adding a
> separate utility), where it would (in 99.9% of cases) never be used.

If it's such a rare use case, then why can't we just go with
minimalistic error handling: If it doesn't work, just output an error
message.

> Put another way, in terms of time involved, it's probably easier to
> get the OS to do it, but that hasn't happened yet,

I guess you're referring to deferred (or "advertised") installation
here; I'm only starting to dive into this matter now, but Wikipedia has
this to say about it:

"The user must have administrator privileges to complete the advertised
installation; in most workplaces, end users are not administrators and
this method of distribution will fail. Microsoft created a workaround
via Group Policies to "Elevate user privileges" during MSI
installations. This is often seen by system administrators as
compromising security since any MSI would automatically gain
administrator privileges."

That sounds pretty discouraging.

> and there's a
> pretty straightforward fully-documented workaround for network admins.

What that documentation currently fails to mention is that the user
directory needs to be populated manually (or via a script of course), as
the /INSTALL and /QINSTALL options will only take care of the registry
entries.