POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Camera is inside a non-hollow object... Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:02:00 EDT (-0400)
  Camera is inside a non-hollow object... (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Camera is inside a non-hollow object...
Date: 15 Jan 2003 09:00:12
Message: <3e25696c@news.povray.org>
Philippe Debar <phd### [at] wanadoobe> wrote:
> Is there any planned change for that behaviour?

  Nothing have been planned, but there has been some discussion about the
issue.

  My opinion is that the keyword 'hollow' should be completely removed.
Even though it's a logical name *in its context*, it's *way* too confusing
for new users, and even for some more advanced ones.

  The best replacement keyword I can think of is 'allow_media', optionally
followed by a boolean value.
  (Also the warning would become more clear: "Camera is inside an object
which does not allow media inside it... etc etc".

  Also its behaviour could be changed a bit:
  For objects with no media block defined its default value would be 'off',
while for objects with media block defined the default value would be 'on'.

  There have been other opinions about this behavioral thing as well (but
these require more drastical changes to the code).
  One good idea is that an object with media will always show its own media,
but whether it will show external media (which includes media of other
objects, global media and fog) or not would depend on the 'allow_media'
value.
  This way an object could have its own media, but still be "solid" (in the
sense that other media will not penetrate it).