POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Re: POV has Antialias against Background? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:35:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV has Antialias against Background? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Ben Chambers
Subject: Re: POV has Antialias against Background?
Date: 18 Jan 2001 21:48:23
Message: <3A67AB13.4AB883F0@hotmail.com>
Bogdan wrote:

> Yes i know ...but you see:
> When anti-alias is done some pixeles at the margin of the image (sprites
> on black background)
> are "blended" betwwen my model and background....so when i place the
> sprite in my game...(using color rgb<0,0,0> as a "color key", ie dont
> place those pixels)
> then a thin black border appeares on screen....its because of
> antialias..hellas
>
> I want antialias inside the sprite (model) just dont want it around the
> model..or lets say
> at the place "the ray" touches the background (a black one )
>
> Such a feature is VERY much used in games...(3D Max has it...but i like
> POV better :) )
>
> Thx

I would suggest rendering two copies of the image, one with aa and the other
without, both on a black background.  Then, write a filter to take the edge
of one and paste it on the other.
(btw, followups in p.general)
...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

> > When anti-alias is done some pixeles at the margin of the image (sprites
> > on black background)
> > are "blended" betwwen my model and background....so when i place the
> > sprite in my game...(using color rgb<0,0,0> as a "color key", ie dont
> > place those pixels)
> > then a thin black border appeares on screen....its because of
> > antialias..hellas
> >
> > I want antialias inside the sprite (model) just dont want it around the
> > model..or lets say
> > at the place "the ray" touches the background (a black one )
> >
> > Such a feature is VERY much used in games...(3D Max has it...but i like
> > POV better :) )
> >
> > Thx
>
> I would suggest rendering two copies of the image, one with aa and the other
> without, both on a black background.  Then, write a filter to take the edge
> of one and paste it on the other.
> (btw, followups in p.general)
> ...Chambers
Thx i was thinking to do that...but with a 352 frames animation of a
sprite (32 headings)
it can be very much work...both for the rendered and the "filter" (ie me
:) )

Maybe they (autors) will think of this feature in next version...i
hope...for games sake

btw, what is p.general ?
(i assume is povray.general newsgoup ...but i dont see it on my
threads... )

Thx anyway...

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 25 Jan 2001 08:32:37
Message: <3a702af5$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3A68C7E2.9A284921@yahoo.com> , Bogdan <bog### [at] yahoocom>
wrote:

> Maybe they (autors) will think of this feature in next version...i
> hope...for games sake

This bug has been reported a few month ago, see povray.bugreports:

Subject: Alpha Channel and Antialiasing

      Thorsten