POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : have to save now??? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:22:17 EDT (-0400)
  have to save now??? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Ted A
Subject: have to save now???
Date: 17 Apr 1999 15:59:09
Message: <3718D9C9.4246E1A5@pdc.net>
This question seems to be too obvious, but I've searched the docs, faqs,
etc. high and low for *any* reference to it at all, and come up with
nothing.

I've been using POVWin 3.0x for a long time now, and only recently
started playing with 3.1e.  It appears that POVWin will no longer parse
the "current working" file in the editor without saving it first.  This
was a very nice feature in 3.0x.  Is this just the way it works now (due
to some major code rewrites or something), or is there a way to change
this?  I can see that it automatically saves it before rendering, but
what if I don't want to commit changes to disk?  (Yeah, I know there's
UNDO, but...)

I also *really* miss the right-mouse-button option "start/stop
rendering".

Looks like I'd better not blow away the 3.02 install yet..........

Post a reply to this message

> I've been using POVWin 3.0x for a long time now, and only recently
> started playing with 3.1e.  It appears that POVWin will no longer parse
> the "current working" file in the editor without saving it first.  This
> was a very nice feature in 3.0x.  Is this just the way it works now (due
> to some major code rewrites or something), or is there a way to change
> this?  I can see that it automatically saves it before rendering, but
> what if I don't want to commit changes to disk?

   Between the power that blinks out for 1-2 seconds every so often and
the stupid cat that just has to play with the keyboard when I go to the
other room, having a program that saves a file before is a great option,
not even to get into windows crashing. If you don't want to write over
your old file just rename it junk.pov or temp.pov and then rename it
with the proper name when you are ready to save it.

Post a reply to this message

If you do this, bear in mind that there is a bug in save As, it saves BOTH
files(the new and the old) when saving.

--
//Spider
        [ spi### [at] bahnhofse ]-[ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]

Post a reply to this message

I don't appear to have any *.bak files with the same time stamp as the
*.pov here. Probably because I then do Save immediately thereafter.
Guess I've seldom used the Save as...
Good to know about this, thanks for clueing us in on that.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe