POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : spatch meshes Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  spatch meshes (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Joan Lavoipierre
Subject: spatch meshes
Date: 4 Mar 1999 06:31:36
Message: <36de6f18.0@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

    I have been trying to render objects modelled in spatch and assembled
using moray, but the rendering of these objects causes too much memory to be
consumed and the system basically crashes.  The pov scene files contain just
one or two light sources and a large number of bicubic patches. Is there an
easy way to optimise the parsing of these files? Only a few times did povray
make it to the rendering stage, and then it was very fast. Mostly it gets
stuck with a 'Parsing' message on the statusbar. Thanks in advance

Post a reply to this message

There's two ways to get around the memory problems.  One is to change
the u_steps and v_steps to 3, 2 or even 1.  You'd have to run a find and
replace on the scene file though.

The other is to use patch_type 0, in which case POV will not divide the
patches when they are parsed.  It'll take longer to render but use less
memory.

-Mike