POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Problem with accents. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:23:06 EDT (-0400)
  Problem with accents. (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Didier TOULOUZE
Subject: Problem with accents.
Date: 2 Jan 1999 15:10:00
Message: <368E7DEE.3A8D4F02@club-internet.fr>
Hi !

When rendering images contening text with accents (I'm french),
the letters with accents are replaced by another characters
without any error or warning in the messages...

I guess it's due to the ansi coding of windows. I tried to edit
the source code under DOS' editor but it doesn't work.
Can't find anything about that in help and FAQ files...
Is there a configuration clue for that ?

Happy new Year (see the link, (without the accent :-( ))
http://perso.club-internet.fr/dito/1999.htm

Didier TOULOUZE                             Visitez ma page web !
dito@club-internet.fr          http://perso.club-internet.fr/dito

Post a reply to this message

> When rendering images contening text with accents (I'm french),
> the letters with accents are replaced by another characters
> without any error or warning in the messages...
>
> I guess it's due to the ansi coding of windows. I tried to edit
> the source code under DOS' editor but it doesn't work.
> Can't find anything about that in help and FAQ files...
> Is there a configuration clue for that ?
>
> Happy new Year (see the link, (without the accent :-( ))
> http://perso.club-internet.fr/dito/1999.htm

> Didier TOULOUZE                             Visitez ma page web !
> dito@club-internet.fr          http://perso.club-internet.fr/dito

This is a known bug and only happens on the windows version of Pov.
The team is aware of it and hopefully it will be fixed in the proposed
Pov version 3.5 due out in a couple of months.

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet

Post a reply to this message

>When rendering images contening text with accents (I'm french),
>the letters with accents are replaced by another characters
>without any error or warning in the messages...
>
>I guess it's due to the ansi coding of windows. I tried to edit
>the source code under DOS' editor but it doesn't work.
>Can't find anything about that in help and FAQ files...
>Is there a configuration clue for that ?

The POV-Ray code is designed to only read ASCII code, and the original ASCII
definition is only specific for the lower 128 character codes. The problem occures
with every non English language and on every operating system (at least it does on
the Mac as well) because POV-Ray cannot (in a cross-platform, portable way) determine
which set of upper 128 character codes to use and then map them to the font which
likely uses Unicode. The problem can only (completely) be eliminated when POV-Ray
supports Unicode.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany

Post a reply to this message

>  The problem can only (completely) be eliminated when POV-Ray
> supports Unicode.
>
>     Thorsten

Is that likely to happen ?
--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet

Post a reply to this message

>>  The problem can only (completely) be eliminated when POV-Ray
>> supports Unicode.
>>
>>     Thorsten
>
>Is that likely to happen ?

Thats a good question, this issue has not been discussed in the team *yet*.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.
Visit POV-Ray on the web: http://www.povray.org

Post a reply to this message

> >>  The problem can only (completely) be eliminated when POV-Ray
> >> supports Unicode.
> >Is that likely to happen ?
> Thats a good question, this issue has not been discussed in the team *yet*.

I sent a little email to Chris Young to ask him...