POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Problem with accents. : Re: Problem with accents. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:37:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with accents.
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Jan 1999 17:42:38
Message: <368ea0de.0@news.povray.org>
In article <368E7DEE.3A8D4F02@club-internet.fr> , Didier TOULOUZE
<dit### [at] club-internetfr>  wrote:

>When rendering images contening text with accents (I'm french),
>the letters with accents are replaced by another characters
>without any error or warning in the messages...
>
>I guess it's due to the ansi coding of windows. I tried to edit
>the source code under DOS' editor but it doesn't work.
>Can't find anything about that in help and FAQ files...
>Is there a configuration clue for that ?

The POV-Ray code is designed to only read ASCII code, and the original ASCII
definition is only specific for the lower 128 character codes. The problem occures
with every non English language and on every operating system (at least it does on
the Mac as well) because POV-Ray cannot (in a cross-platform, portable way) determine
which set of upper 128 character codes to use and then map them to the font which
likely uses Unicode. The problem can only (completely) be eliminated when POV-Ray
supports Unicode.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany