POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : v3.1 PovRay does Volume Rendering !? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:15:33 EDT (-0400)
  v3.1 PovRay does Volume Rendering !? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Jim Kress
Subject: v3.1 PovRay does Volume Rendering !?
Date: 17 Jul 1998 18:35:58
Message: <35afc3be.0@news.povray.org>
From some of the threads concerning the new POV version, I have gotten the
idea that v3.1 will allow VOLUME rendering via the DENSITY object.  Is this
correct?  For example, I generate a cubical volume in space in which I have
regions of varying density.  At every <x(i),y(i),z(i)> point I have an
associated density value, d(i).  Can I now use v3.1 to specify these density
values across the entire cube to POV and it will generate a rendered image
of the volume with shading of various volumes (collection of voxels)
determined by the light passing through and/ or reflecting from/ absorbed by
each voxel?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> idea that v3.1 will allow VOLUME rendering via the DENSITY object.  Is this
> correct?  For example, I generate a cubical volume in space in which I have
> regions of varying density.  At every <x(i),y(i),z(i)> point I have an
> associated density value, d(i).  Can I now use v3.1 to specify these density
> values across the entire cube to POV and it will generate a rendered image
> of the volume with shading of various volumes (collection of voxels)
> determined by the light passing through and/ or reflecting from/ absorbed by
> each voxel?
>
> Jim

Apparently so. Not actually a density object but an interior media type.
There's a demo of this in the beta package.  Note though, that where the
density file name is specified, I had to modify it to include the full
path name of the file (it's in the include directory), I've heard that
others have had this problem as well.

Cheers, PoD.

Post a reply to this message

PoD wrote in message <35B### [at] merlinnetau>...
>Jim Kress wrote:
>>
>> From some of the threads concerning the new POV version, I have gotten
the
>> idea that v3.1 will allow VOLUME rendering via the DENSITY object.  Is
this
>> correct?  For example, I generate a cubical volume in space in which I
have
>> regions of varying density.  At every <x(i),y(i),z(i)> point I have an
>> associated density value, d(i).  Can I now use v3.1 to specify these
density
>> values across the entire cube to POV and it will generate a rendered
image
>> of the volume with shading of various volumes (collection of voxels)
>> determined by the light passing through and/ or reflecting from/ absorbed
by
>> each voxel?
>>
>> Jim
>
>Apparently so. Not actually a density object but an interior media type.
>There's a demo of this in the beta package.  Note though, that where the
>density file name is specified, I had to modify it to include the full
>path name of the file (it's in the include directory), I've heard that
>others have had this problem as well.
>
>Cheers, PoD.

Post a reply to this message