POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : v3.1 PovRay does Volume Rendering !? : Re: v3.1 PovRay does Volume Rendering !? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.1 PovRay does Volume Rendering !?
From: PoD
Date: 18 Jul 1998 14:40:34
Message: <35B0DD50.5943@merlin.net.au>
Jim Kress wrote:

> From some of the threads concerning the new POV version, I have gotten the
> idea that v3.1 will allow VOLUME rendering via the DENSITY object.  Is this
> correct?  For example, I generate a cubical volume in space in which I have
> regions of varying density.  At every <x(i),y(i),z(i)> point I have an
> associated density value, d(i).  Can I now use v3.1 to specify these density
> values across the entire cube to POV and it will generate a rendered image
> of the volume with shading of various volumes (collection of voxels)
> determined by the light passing through and/ or reflecting from/ absorbed by
> each voxel?
>
> Jim

Apparently so. Not actually a density object but an interior media type.
There's a demo of this in the beta package.  Note though, that where the
density file name is specified, I had to modify it to include the full
path name of the file (it's in the include directory), I've heard that
others have had this problem as well.

Cheers, PoD.