POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : rendering speed Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  rendering speed (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: eugene
Subject: rendering speed
Date: 17 Nov 1997 23:19:53
Message: <34711769.5971@marblehead.com>
Hello!

I have a 486DX 66Mz with 32MB, and my rendering speed is very slow. Is
there a way to make it render faster?

-eugene

Post a reply to this message

From: Roland Mas
Subject: Re: rendering speed
Date: 18 Nov 1997 18:03:30
Message: <64t6s2$rqs$1@melchior.Cuivre.FR.EU.ORG>
eugene (eug### [at] marbleheadcom) wrote:
> Hello!

> I have a 486DX 66Mz with 32MB, and my rendering speed is very slow. Is
> there a way to make it render faster?

Even two ones!
1. The easier one: buy a computer. I did it recently, and was _really_
surprised how much difference a P200 MMX had in rendering speed compared
to a 486DX2/66 with 24 Mb RAM.
2. The cheaper one: optimize your scenes. I used to do it (and still do,
of course), and thus saved _lots_ of rendering time. Use bounding boxes
and automatic bounding. Use simple texture until the final rendering. Same
for the atmospheric effects.

Anyway, always remember: difficulty teaches you patience. I started raytracing
with DKBTrace 2.12 on an Atari 520 STE (8 MHz, 512 Kb RAM). Since then I was
constantly astonished by the evolution: POV 1, then PC with a hard disk, then
POV 2, then a 386, then a 486DX2/66, then POV 3, then a Pentium 200 MMX...
I still consider starting on a too powerful machine as an encouragement to
dirty and unoptimised code. Rendering two coloured spheres at 80x50 in
30 minutes, that teaches patience.

B-o-b
--

bob### [at] casimirrezelenstfr -- Linux, POV-Ray, LaTeX

Post a reply to this message