POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : rendering speed : Re: rendering speed Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:35:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rendering speed
From: Chris Jeppesen
Date: 13 May 1998 01:47:16
Message: <6jbc50$b77$1@oz.aussie.org>
This thread is 6 months old, probably dead, but here goes.

A few weeks ago I got Slackware Linux, primarially to make my renders
faster. So, I now triple boot. Windows NT 4.0, Dos 6.22, and Linux. I have
another hard drive on my system with Win95, so actually I can quad-boot.

I rendered one of my own scenes at 320x240 pixels as a benchmark

Linux         1:03
NT 4.0      1:05
Win95        1:10
Dos6.22    1:36

Linux is 2 seconds faster, probably because there was no display. (I still
can't get that to work.) NT was with PovWin3.02, render priority on maximum.
So was Win95. I was really surprised by how slow dos is. I remember it being
faster than WinNT. I guess not.

Linux is faster, but only by about 2%. I guess it's worth it if it means 98
hours for an animation instead of 100.

My $0.02

Chris Jeppesen

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/3392/