POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : rendering speed : Re: rendering speed Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:29:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rendering speed
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 19 Nov 1970 07:39:51
Message: <3472de17.0@news.povray.org>
Roland Mas (bob### [at] casimirrezelenstfr) wrote:
: Even two ones!
: 1. The easier one: buy a computer. I did it recently, and was _really_
: surprised how much difference a P200 MMX had in rendering speed compared
: to a 486DX2/66 with 24 Mb RAM.
: 2. The cheaper one: optimize your scenes. I used to do it (and still do,
: of course), and thus saved _lots_ of rendering time. Use bounding boxes
: and automatic bounding. Use simple texture until the final rendering. Same
: for the atmospheric effects.

  3. Avoid reflection and refraction in the same texture if possible, or
at least until the final rendering. If an object is both reflective and
refractive, the rendering time explodes. Alternatively use a smaller rendering
quality until final rendering.
  4. If you have really complicated objects, replace them with a bounding
object until final rendering.

  There are some things that are really slow, but that you have to test again
and again until you find the correct parameters, like the atmosphere, some
halo types, etc. I don't know how to speed this up, and it has caused me
a lot of problems (atmosphere looks a _lot_ different in a 64x48 sized
image than in a 800x600 sized)

--

                                                              - Warp. -