POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Building the GUIDEMO GUI Extension Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:14:41 EDT (-0400)
  Building the GUIDEMO GUI Extension (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Jon S  Berndt
Subject: Building the GUIDEMO GUI Extension
Date: 15 Nov 1997 09:33:24
Message: <346DB2B4.3B71971C@hal-pc.org>
I have been experimenting with the GUIDEMO extension which is contained
in the POV source archive. I am using Borland C++ 5.01a (or b?). The
demo extension compiles fine and I have made the requisite changes to
the source to prevent errors. However, after adding the appropriate line
to the pvengine.ini file nothing happens - not even an error dialog pops
up. I tried changing the name of the extension as shown in the .ini file
to an illegal name, and when I bring up POV the same thing happens, i.e.
nothing. I just get POV-Ray, same as always, with nothing extraordinary
in the GUI Extensions menu (in fact, the grayed out item says: No GUI
Extensions Loaded").

It appears, somehow, that the GUIExtensions line is not being read, or
it is being disregarded:

[GUIExtensions]
UseExtensions=1
ExtDll16=h:\POVRAY\bin\guidemo.pge

I would think that if I changed the name of the extension above to
"guifake.pge" I would get some kind of error like "No such extension".

Has anyone else run into this?

Jon Berndt

Post a reply to this message

"Jon S. Berndt" <jsb### [at] hal-pcorg> wrote:

>I have been experimenting with the GUIDEMO extension which is contained
>in the POV source archive. I am using Borland C++ 5.01a (or b?). The
>demo extension compiles fine and I have made the requisite changes to
>the source to prevent errors. However, after adding the appropriate line
>to the pvengine.ini file nothing happens - not even an error dialog pops
>up. I tried changing the name of the extension as shown in the .ini file
>to an illegal name, and when I bring up POV the same thing happens, i.e.
>nothing. I just get POV-Ray, same as always, with nothing extraordinary
>in the GUI Extensions menu (in fact, the grayed out item says: No GUI
>Extensions Loaded").
>
>It appears, somehow, that the GUIExtensions line is not being read, or
>it is being disregarded:
>
>[GUIExtensions]
>UseExtensions=1
>ExtDll16=h:\POVRAY\bin\guidemo.pge
>
>I would think that if I changed the name of the extension above to
>"guifake.pge" I would get some kind of error like "No such extension".

I can't say why this would be the case. Extensions do work (I tested one for
someone else only a few weeks ago). Try turning on debug (use pvengine.exe
/debug and look for c:\povray.dbg after pvengine has exited.)

If this still doesn't help, then compile the povray for windows source and step
through the initialisation code (LoadGUIExtensions () in PVGUIEXT.C).

If there turns out to be enough interest in GUI extensions I will establish a
group for it.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

>If there turns out to be enough interest in GUI extensions I will establish
>group for it.

May I say, yes, there is? Also, yes. And, again, yes.

--Chris

p.s. Yes.

Post a reply to this message

>May I say, yes, there is? Also, yes. And, again, yes.

yeah, ok, we'll see how this one goes. povray.windows.gui-extensions.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message