POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : should beginner upgrade from 3.5 to 3.6 Server Time
28 Jun 2024 21:59:03 EDT (-0400)
  should beginner upgrade from 3.5 to 3.6 (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: mm44mm44
Subject: should beginner upgrade from 3.5 to 3.6
Date: 31 Dec 2004 12:20:00
Message: <web.41d588eb5846ec61301041ed0@news.povray.org>
Hello newsgroup,

this is my first posting here (after some days of reading ;-), so hopefully
I do everything right....

I have installed POVray 3.5 from my SuSE 9.0 install DVD and additionally to
that I am using KPovModeler 1.0 (KDE 3.1.4, kernel 2.4.21).

Do you recommand to upgrade to 3.6 which means self-compiling as I could not
find a rpm file suitable for 9.0.

If I do compile POVray 3.6 myself do I neet to remove anything before (like
"rpm -e -nodeps povray 3.5" or similar)?

What advantages do I have to expect from upgrading (better rendering
performance, more features)?

Does it make sense to start with 3.5 and upgrade later when I am more
experienced wiht povray and when I upgrade the kernel (to 2.6) and KDE (to
3.3) - if I ever attempt this ;-)

Thanks for your assistance

Raimund

Post a reply to this message