POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : should beginner upgrade from 3.5 to 3.6 : Re: should beginner upgrade from 3.5 to 3.6 Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:51:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should beginner upgrade from 3.5 to 3.6
From: Nicolas Calimet
Date: 3 Jan 2005 09:29:28
Message: <41d956c8$1@news.povray.org>
> this is my first posting here (after some days of reading ;-), so hopefully
> I do everything right....

	Yes, it seems so  :-)  And welcome!

> Do you recommand to upgrade to 3.6 which means self-compiling as I could not
> find a rpm file suitable for 9.0.

	Depending on which machine you want to run POV-Ray on, you may find
some substantial benefit (speedwise) in recompiling the program from sources.
In this case it is definitely recommanded to upgrade to 3.6.x as the
build process is likely to be as easy as running the usual 'configure; make'
scheme.  Refer to the INSTALL document of the source version.

> If I do compile POVray 3.6 myself do I neet to remove anything before (like
> "rpm -e -nodeps povray 3.5" or similar)?

	Normally not, you can have both versions working in parallel (thanks
to some appropriate changes in 3.6).  The only thing you should take care of,
however, is to rename the existing 'povray' binary to e.g. 'povray-3.5' before
you install a newer version which is also named 'povray'.

> What advantages do I have to expect from upgrading (better rendering
> performance, more features)?

	Performance is in general very similar, though some specific features
(e.g. photons) were optimized better in 3.6.  There are also a few additional
features in 3.6, summarized in  http://www.povray.org/download/features/ .

	- NC