POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : should beginner upgrade from 3.5 to 3.6 : Re: should beginner upgrade from 3.5 to 3.6 Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should beginner upgrade from 3.5 to 3.6
From: Ross
Date: 3 Jan 2005 19:47:25
Message: <41d9e79d$1@news.povray.org>
"destroyedlolo" <l_f### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
news:41D### [at] yahoocom...
> Nicolas Calimet wrote:
> >> this is my first posting here (after some days of reading ;-), so
> >> hopefully
> >> I do everything right....
> >

> >     Yes, it seems so  :-)  And welcome!
>
> >     Performance is in general very similar, though some specific
features
> > (e.g. photons) were optimized better in 3.6.  There are also a few
> > additional
> > features in 3.6, summarized in  http://www.povray.org/download/features/
.

> Are you sure ?
> I saw on the benchmark site that we can't compare 3.5 and 3.6 as the
> last one is slower than the previous version ... and I can see the
> difference on my very very slow SUN Server 5.
>
> Lolo

this speed difference is scene dependent. some things have increased in
speed, so scenes that use those features will show a speed increase.
Atleast, that's my high level, over-generalized view of it.

i think the benchmark site means that if you are trying to compare 2
different systems for rendering speed, don't use a benchmark from 3.5 on one
system and a benchmark from 3.6 on the other system.