POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : newsreader, kind of o.t. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:00 EDT (-0400)
  newsreader, kind of o.t. (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Ross Litscher
Subject: newsreader, kind of o.t.
Date: 6 May 2000 00:31:36
Message: <3913A0DA.85456FA7@osu.edu>
I was wondering what you as unix users use to view binary news messages,
ie povray.binaries.images picture attachments? i have been using
netscape 4.61 under linux and it tends to have the desire to reload the
image about 3 times before it lets me scroll up and down to view it.

I will entertain any suggestions like emacs/xemacs and some spiffy way
of making it use like gimp or electric eyes to externally view the
image. i don't however want to have to save the image manually to disk
and then start some program.

so i hope this wasn't too oftopic, since the only reason i need this is
to view p.b.i.

thanks,
ross

Post a reply to this message

> I was wondering what you as unix users use to view binary news messages,
> ie povray.binaries.images picture attachments? i have been using
> netscape 4.61 under linux and it tends to have the desire to reload the
> image about 3 times before it lets me scroll up and down to view it.
>
> I will entertain any suggestions like emacs/xemacs and some spiffy way
> of making it use like gimp or electric eyes to externally view the
> image. i don't however want to have to save the image manually to disk
> and then start some program.
>
> so i hope this wasn't too oftopic, since the only reason i need this is
> to view p.b.i.
>
> thanks,
> ross

I've tried PAN 0.8.0beta6 http://www.superpimp.org/
It's not very stable for me, you might have better luck.
It automatically saves images and uses ee to view them.

PoD.

Post a reply to this message

> I was wondering what you as unix users use to view binary news messages,
> ie povray.binaries.images picture attachments? i have been using
> netscape 4.61 under linux and it tends to have the desire to reload the
> image about 3 times before it lets me scroll up and down to view it.

NS 4.7 does not seem to have this tendency, at least not here (RedHat 6.0).

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee

I've got NS 4.7, RH6.0, and I get the reloads.  It's always annoyed me,
but I just got a cable modem, and I don't even notice them any more.
Really a pain over 56K modem though.  Don't have any great suggestions.
Has anyone tried Mozilla/NS 6?  Don't even know if it has newsgroup
support yet.

Ken