POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : newsreader, kind of o.t. : Re: newsreader, kind of o.t. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: newsreader, kind of o.t.
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 6 May 2000 14:09:36
Message: <qqmwvl7blen.fsf@schlatt.fmi.uni-konstanz.de>
Ross Litscher <lit### [at] osuedu> writes:

> I was wondering what you as unix users use to view binary news messages,
> ie povray.binaries.images picture attachments? i have been using
> netscape 4.61 under linux and it tends to have the desire to reload the
> image about 3 times before it lets me scroll up and down to view it.
>
> I will entertain any suggestions like emacs/xemacs and some spiffy way
> of making it use like gimp or electric eyes to externally view the
> image. i don't however want to have to save the image manually to disk
> and then start some program.

I use emacs with gnus to read newsgroups (including p.b.i). Since I`m
not the one who installed emacs in our system, I can't tell you how
much configuration is necessary. However, I can tell you that I can
view images just by clicking on a text in emacs. It automagically
starts xv to show the image. The image are temporarely stored in
/tmp/emm.*/ .

Unfortunately, there are two problems: xv isn't lauched, if the file
name contains white spaces, and I can't see a specific kind of included
images. I don't know, what the problem is, because from the comments of
others I can conclude that they can see the image. (But it is only a
small subset of the images that has this problem.)

Thomas

--
http://thomas.willhalm.de/ (includes pgp key)