POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Invalid display, MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 Server Time
19 Mar 2024 00:09:36 EDT (-0400)
  Invalid display, MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 (Message 1 to 10 of 21)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Invalid display, MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
Date: 22 Mar 2019 11:35:33
Message: <5c9500c5$1@news.povray.org>
Since I upgraded my GNU/Linux system to openSUSE Leap 15.0, I get the
message "Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key" with every POV 3.7 or 3.8 render.
This is annoying, but at least the scenes render. But whenever I test a
scene file with POV 3.5 or 3.6, the render halts with the message:

------------------- [BEGIN MESSAGE] --------------------
Displaying...Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Slab Building Error:
The display ':0' is not a valid display,
-------------------- [END MESSAGE] ---------------------

The only way I can get any 3.5 or 3.6 renders is to suppress the display
with -D; but this is impractical when I'm testing a single scene across
multiple versions.

I've tried to learn about the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 thing, and have ended
up entirely flummoxed.  I have tried various simple solutions I've found
across the Web, and none of them work.  One I haven't tried requires my
local hostname or IP address.  I don't know what the former means, and
the latter is unreasonable with dynamically assigned IP addresses.

Has anyone else had this problem, and what can I do to fix it?

OS: openSUSE Leap 15.0 (GNU/Linux)
Hardware: Dell Inspiron 17R 5720

Post a reply to this message

> Since I upgraded my GNU/Linux system to openSUSE Leap 15.0, I get the
> message "Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
> keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key" with every POV 3.7 or 3.8 render.
> This is annoying, but at least the scenes render. But whenever I test a
> scene file with POV 3.5 or 3.6, the render halts with the message:
>
> ------------------- [BEGIN MESSAGE] --------------------
> Displaying...Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
> Slab Building Error:
> The display ':0' is not a valid display,
> -------------------- [END MESSAGE] ---------------------
>
> The only way I can get any 3.5 or 3.6 renders is to suppress the display
> with -D; but this is impractical when I'm testing a single scene across
> multiple versions.
>
> I've tried to learn about the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 thing, and have ended
> up entirely flummoxed.  I have tried various simple solutions I've found
> across the Web, and none of them work.  One I haven't tried requires my
> local hostname or IP address.  I don't know what the former means, and
> the latter is unreasonable with dynamically assigned IP addresses.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem, and what can I do to fix it?
>
> OS: openSUSE Leap 15.0 (GNU/Linux)
> Hardware: Dell Inspiron 17R 5720

Slackware systems have a 'mcookie(1)' program installed for the purpose (never
needed to use it though).  available from
ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

Le 22/03/2019 à 16:35, Cousin Ricky a écrit :
> Since I upgraded my GNU/Linux system to openSUSE Leap 15.0, I get the
> message "Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
> keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key" with every POV 3.7 or 3.8 render.
> This is annoying, but at least the scenes render. But whenever I test a
> scene file with POV 3.5 or 3.6, the render halts with the message:
>
> ------------------- [BEGIN MESSAGE] --------------------
> Displaying...Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
> Slab Building Error:
> The display ':0' is not a valid display,
> -------------------- [END MESSAGE] ---------------------
>
> The only way I can get any 3.5 or 3.6 renders is to suppress the display
> with -D; but this is impractical when I'm testing a single scene across
> multiple versions.
>
> I've tried to learn about the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 thing, and have ended
> up entirely flummoxed.  I have tried various simple solutions I've found
> across the Web, and none of them work.  One I haven't tried requires my
> local hostname or IP address.  I don't know what the former means, and
> the latter is unreasonable with dynamically assigned IP addresses.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem, and what can I do to fix it?
>
> OS: openSUSE Leap 15.0 (GNU/Linux)
> Hardware: Dell Inspiron 17R 5720

Are you running in local, directly on the linux pc's keyboard & screen ?
(or via a remote connection such as ssh ?)

If local, are you running in console or X11 display ?

you can disable preview (hence the need to open the X display) via
command line switch : -d
 as well as ini file: Display=Off

As you upgraded, it is possible the old cookie remains and is no more
valid for the new server (such cookie is in a file in your home, a
hidden dot file, and is created by the logging process but ONLY if it
does not exist). Basic test: find the cookie file, nuck the cookie file,
disconnect, reconnect.

Post a reply to this message

> Slackware systems have a 'mcookie(1)' program installed for the purpose (never
> needed to use it though).  available from
> ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/.

It's already installed on my computer.  I tried the suggested usage
"xauth add :0 . `mcookie`", and it didn't work.  I got the exact same
error message.

I don't know what else to do, as I have no freaking clue what's going on
or what any of this means.

Post a reply to this message

> Le 22/03/2019 à 16:35, Cousin Ricky a écrit :
>> Since I upgraded my GNU/Linux system to openSUSE Leap 15.0, I get the
>> message "Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
>> keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key" with every POV 3.7 or 3.8 render.
>> This is annoying, but at least the scenes render. But whenever I test a
>> scene file with POV 3.5 or 3.6, the render halts with the message:
>>
>> ------------------- [BEGIN MESSAGE] --------------------
>> Displaying...Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
>> Slab Building Error:
>> The display ':0' is not a valid display,
>> -------------------- [END MESSAGE] ---------------------
>>
>> The only way I can get any 3.5 or 3.6 renders is to suppress the display
>> with -D; but this is impractical when I'm testing a single scene across
>> multiple versions.
>>
>> I've tried to learn about the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 thing, and have ended
>> up entirely flummoxed.  I have tried various simple solutions I've found
>> across the Web, and none of them work.  One I haven't tried requires my
>> local hostname or IP address.  I don't know what the former means, and
>> the latter is unreasonable with dynamically assigned IP addresses.
>>
>> Has anyone else had this problem, and what can I do to fix it?
>>
>> OS: openSUSE Leap 15.0 (GNU/Linux)
>> Hardware: Dell Inspiron 17R 5720
>
> Are you running in local, directly on the linux pc's keyboard & screen ?
> (or via a remote connection such as ssh ?)
>
> If local, are you running in console or X11 display ?
>
> you can disable preview (hence the need to open the X display) via
> command line switch : -d
>  as well as ini file: Display=Off
>
> As you upgraded, it is possible the old cookie remains and is no more
> valid for the new server (such cookie is in a file in your home, a
> hidden dot file, and is created by the logging process but ONLY if it
> does not exist). Basic test: find the cookie file, nuck the cookie file,
> disconnect, reconnect.

I don't think it's a cookie file per se, although I don't know what that is.
I think the crux is "invalid display :0"
I see this sometimes if I ssh into a box.
My first test is always to see if xclock works.
I'd try like jr says, "-d"

--
dik
Rendered 1024 of 921600 pixels (0%)

Post a reply to this message

On 2019-03-22 12:45 PM (-4), Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 22/03/2019 à 16:35, Cousin Ricky a écrit :
>
> Are you running in local, directly on the linux pc's keyboard & screen ?
> (or via a remote connection such as ssh ?)

I'm just using my laptop.

> If local, are you running in console or X11 display ?

I'm using Konsole.  Whether that means console or X11 I don't know.

> you can disable preview (hence the need to open the X display) via
> command line switch : -d
>   as well as ini file: Display=Off

I don't want to disable the preview.  I do expect the OS to allow the
software to work properly.

> As you upgraded, it is possible the old cookie remains and is no more
> valid for the new server (such cookie is in a file in your home, a
> hidden dot file, and is created by the logging process but ONLY if it
> does not exist). Basic test: find the cookie file, nuck the cookie file,
> disconnect, reconnect.

What would be the name of this file?

Post a reply to this message

On 2019-03-22 1:06 PM, dick balaska wrote:
> On 3/22/19 12:45 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>> Le 22/03/2019 à 16:35, Cousin Ricky a écrit :
>> Are you running in local, directly on the linux pc's keyboard & screen ?
>> (or via a remote connection such as ssh ?)
>>
>> If local, are you running in console or X11 display ?
>>
>> you can disable preview (hence the need to open the X display) via
>> command line switch : -d
>>   as well as ini file: Display=Off
>>
>> As you upgraded, it is possible the old cookie remains and is no more
>> valid for the new server (such cookie is in a file in your home, a
>> hidden dot file, and is created by the logging process but ONLY if it
>> does not exist). Basic test: find the cookie file, nuck the cookie file,
>> disconnect, reconnect.
>>

> I don't think it's a cookie file per se, although I don't know what that is.
> I think the crux is "invalid display :0"
> I see this sometimes if I ssh into a box.
> My first test is always to see if xclock works.

It works, but it also spits out "Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key" in the
process.

> I'd try like jr says, "-d"

I don't want to use "-d"; it would defeat the purpose of my automated
testing scripts.

Post a reply to this message

Am 22.03.2019 um 16:35 schrieb Cousin Ricky:

> One I haven't tried requires my
> local hostname or IP address.  I don't know what the former means, and
> the latter is unreasonable with dynamically assigned IP addresses.

You can always use `127.0.0.1` to address the local machine.

Post a reply to this message

On 2019-03-22 1:18 PM (-4), clipka wrote:
> Am 22.03.2019 um 16:35 schrieb Cousin Ricky:
>
>> One I haven't tried requires my local hostname or IP address.  I don't
>> know what the former means, and the latter is unreasonable with
>> dynamically assigned IP addresses.
>
> You can always use `127.0.0.1` to address the local machine.

Already tried 'export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0'.  I got:

The display '127.0.0.1:0' is not a valid display,

Post a reply to this message

On 2019-03-22 12:45 PM (-4), Le_Forgeron wrote:

> As you upgraded, it is possible the old cookie remains and is no more
> valid for the new server (such cookie is in a file in your home, a
> hidden dot file, and is created by the logging process but ONLY if it
> does not exist). Basic test: find the cookie file, nuck the cookie file,
> disconnect, reconnect.

The Web seems to tell me that this file is called .Xauthority.  I
deleted that file, rebooted, and I got the same POV error.