POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Invalid display, MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 : Re: Invalid display, MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 Server Time
18 Apr 2024 18:24:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invalid display, MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 22 Mar 2019 12:45:29
Message: <5c951129$1@news.povray.org>
Le 22/03/2019 à 16:35, Cousin Ricky a écrit :
> Since I upgraded my GNU/Linux system to openSUSE Leap 15.0, I get the
> message "Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
> keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key" with every POV 3.7 or 3.8 render.
> This is annoying, but at least the scenes render. But whenever I test a
> scene file with POV 3.5 or 3.6, the render halts with the message:
>
> ------------------- [BEGIN MESSAGE] --------------------
> Displaying...Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
> Slab Building Error:
> The display ':0' is not a valid display,
> -------------------- [END MESSAGE] ---------------------
>
> The only way I can get any 3.5 or 3.6 renders is to suppress the display
> with -D; but this is impractical when I'm testing a single scene across
> multiple versions.
>
> I've tried to learn about the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 thing, and have ended
> up entirely flummoxed.  I have tried various simple solutions I've found
> across the Web, and none of them work.  One I haven't tried requires my
> local hostname or IP address.  I don't know what the former means, and
> the latter is unreasonable with dynamically assigned IP addresses.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem, and what can I do to fix it?
>
> OS: openSUSE Leap 15.0 (GNU/Linux)
> Hardware: Dell Inspiron 17R 5720

Are you running in local, directly on the linux pc's keyboard & screen ?
(or via a remote connection such as ssh ?)

If local, are you running in console or X11 display ?

you can disable preview (hence the need to open the X display) via
command line switch : -d
 as well as ini file: Display=Off

As you upgraded, it is possible the old cookie remains and is no more
valid for the new server (such cookie is in a file in your home, a
hidden dot file, and is created by the logging process but ONLY if it
does not exist). Basic test: find the cookie file, nuck the cookie file,
disconnect, reconnect.