POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Invalid display, MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 : Invalid display, MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:53:55 EDT (-0400)
  Invalid display, MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 22 Mar 2019 11:35:33
Message: <5c9500c5$1@news.povray.org>
Since I upgraded my GNU/Linux system to openSUSE Leap 15.0, I get the
message "Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key" with every POV 3.7 or 3.8 render.
This is annoying, but at least the scenes render. But whenever I test a
scene file with POV 3.5 or 3.6, the render halts with the message:

------------------- [BEGIN MESSAGE] --------------------
Displaying...Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Slab Building Error:
The display ':0' is not a valid display,
-------------------- [END MESSAGE] ---------------------

The only way I can get any 3.5 or 3.6 renders is to suppress the display
with -D; but this is impractical when I'm testing a single scene across
multiple versions.

I've tried to learn about the MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 thing, and have ended
up entirely flummoxed.  I have tried various simple solutions I've found
across the Web, and none of them work.  One I haven't tried requires my
local hostname or IP address.  I don't know what the former means, and
the latter is unreasonable with dynamically assigned IP addresses.

Has anyone else had this problem, and what can I do to fix it?

OS: openSUSE Leap 15.0 (GNU/Linux)
Hardware: Dell Inspiron 17R 5720