POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pentium 3 optimized binary Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Pentium 3 optimized binary (Message 1 to 10 of 28)
From: Micha Riser
Subject: Pentium 3 optimized binary
Date: 1 Aug 2002 12:46:39
Message: <3d4965ef@news.povray.org>
I have compiled a version of pov-ray with gcc 3.1, optimized for pentium 3
cpus. I have also applied a small patch which potentially increases
performance. If you want to try it out, you can get it from

http://www.povworld.org/povray/povray.bz2

I have not had time to do too much testing but it should be quite a bit
faster than the official binary. Please someone test against windows binary.

- Micha

--
http://objects.povworld.org - the POV-Ray Objects Collection

Post a reply to this message

> I have compiled a version of pov-ray with gcc 3.1, optimized for pentium 3
> cpus. I have also applied a small patch which potentially increases
> performance. If you want to try it out, you can get it from
>
> http://www.povworld.org/povray/povray.bz2
>
> I have not had time to do too much testing but it should be quite a bit
> faster than the official binary. Please someone test against windows binary.
>
> - Micha

Bless you Micha! This worked like a charm. Comparison rendering times of
the balcony.pov sample scene are as follows:

Windows prebuilt binary = 505s
Linux prebuilt binary = 785s
Micha's p3 optimized binary = 444s

I'll do some more thorough testing with other scenes such as the
benchmark.pov one later today.

I don't have gcc 3.1 yet. Would the small patch you applied help
performance in a gcc 2.96 compiled version?

-Roz

Post a reply to this message

> I don't have gcc 3.1 yet. Would the small patch you applied help
> performance in a gcc 2.96 compiled version?

Yeah, it is an algorithmic change and therefore compile independant. I'll
post details later. It's is national holiday here in Switzerland today...

- Micha