POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pentium 3 optimized binary : Re: Pentium 3 optimized binary Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pentium 3 optimized binary
From: Roz
Date: 1 Aug 2002 19:04:06
Message: <3D49BEA4.5030700@netscape.net>
Micha Riser wrote:
> Roz wrote:
>
>>Windows prebuilt binary = 505s
>>Linux prebuilt binary = 785s
>>Micha's p3 optimized binary = 444s
>

> Great! What CPU do you have btw?

It's an AMD Athlon XP 1900+ with 512meg DDR RAM.

I ran benchmark.pov through its paces and these are the rendering times:

Windows prebuilt binary = 25m 48s (1548s)
Linux prebuilt binary = 55m 40s (3340s)
Micha's p3 optimized binary = 25m 14s (1514s)

Not bad :)

>>I don't have gcc 3.1 yet. Would the small patch you applied help
>>performance in a gcc 2.96 compiled version?
>>

> Yeah, it is an algorithmic change and therefore compile independant. I'll
> post details later. It's is national holiday here in Switzerland today...
>
> - Micha

Happy Holiday and thanks for posting the p3 optimized binary :)

-Roz