POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pentium 3 optimized binary : Re: Pentium 3 optimized binary Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:25:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pentium 3 optimized binary
From: Roz
Date: 1 Aug 2002 13:59:05
Message: <3D497728.6030603@netscape.net>
Micha Riser wrote:
> I have compiled a version of pov-ray with gcc 3.1, optimized for pentium 3
> cpus. I have also applied a small patch which potentially increases
> performance. If you want to try it out, you can get it from
>
> http://www.povworld.org/povray/povray.bz2
>
> I have not had time to do too much testing but it should be quite a bit
> faster than the official binary. Please someone test against windows binary.
>
> - Micha

Bless you Micha! This worked like a charm. Comparison rendering times of
the balcony.pov sample scene are as follows:

Windows prebuilt binary = 505s
Linux prebuilt binary = 785s
Micha's p3 optimized binary = 444s

I'll do some more thorough testing with other scenes such as the
benchmark.pov one later today.

I don't have gcc 3.1 yet. Would the small patch you applied help
performance in a gcc 2.96 compiled version?

-Roz