POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Why I still dualboot Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Why I still dualboot (Message 11 to 20 of 24)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Peter Popov
Subject: Re: Why I still dualboot
Date: 10 Jul 2001 17:03:01
Message: <581mktca2qrmflunu4taa3dlfatg145ghs@4ax.com>
On 9 Jul 2001 20:25:05 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>Peter Popov <pet### [at] vipbg> wrote:
>: 3. Emacs (even better, XEmacs)
>
>  Does XEmacs already support pc-selection-mode?
>  That's one of the main reasons why I haven't been using it.
>
>  And besides, is there any considerable difference betweem the two
>anyways?

Aside from fonts and being able to use bold/italics and the X
clipboard, I don't think so.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg

From: Sebastian Holtermann
Date: 10 Jul 2001 19:47:24
Message: <3b4b940c$1@news.povray.org>
Steve wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 23:08:39 +0200, Sebastian Holtermann wrote:
>>
>>> I find myself booting into windows for only TWO things anymore:
>>>
>>> playing games (WINE has potential but isn't there quite yet)
>>> working with PoVray
>>
>>These are the only two reasons to boot windows for me, too.
>>Nice to see other people share my situation ;-).
>
> That's strange, I made the switch to linux so that my POV would
> benefit, since Dec 1999 I havn't used Windows or DOS for anything.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Steve              email mailto:ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet
>
> %HAV-A-NICEDAY Error not enough coffee  0 pps.
>
> web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/
>
> or  http://start.at/zero-pps
>
>  12:06am  up  2:56,  2 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00

For povray-rendering i like linux more than windows
(i have just installed a little pov-ray render station on our home-server)

but the GUI for the windows version is still unbeaten.

--
Sebastian H.

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 01:46:56 +0200, Sebastian Holtermann wrote:

>For povray-rendering i like linux more than windows
>(i have just installed a little pov-ray render station on our home-server)
>
>but the GUI for the windows version is still unbeaten.

I prefer Emacs with the syntax hilighting in tandem with my own util PovMenu.
You can d/l PovMenu from my web page at:

http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/linstuff.html#POVMENU

There's a screenshot there too.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  1:32am  up 1 day,  4:23,  2 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00

Post a reply to this message

> >  Does XEmacs already support pc-selection-mode?
> >  That's one of the main reasons why I haven't been using it.
> >
> >  And besides, is there any considerable difference betweem the two
> >anyways?
>
> Aside from fonts and being able to use bold/italics and the X
> clipboard, I don't think so.

X clipboard? C-SPC C-a M-w

...and then Hyper-TAB to a gnome-terminal and pressing the middle
mouse button gives me

  ole: ~$ X clipboard?

That is with FSF Emacs 20.7. Also Emacs is actually capable of using
some sort of italics, though it surely doesn't look nice.

I can't wait to get my hands on Emacs 21.

--
Ole Laursen
http://sunsite.dk/olau/

Post a reply to this message